Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
Snow Emergency information:
Information on snow events and the declaration of snow emergencies which require the removal of ALL vehicles parked in the street can be found at:
Remove all vehicles from the street during a snow emergency.
Vehicles not removed may be ticketed and/or towed.
Show All Answers
To arrange for a special pickup, you will contact GFL directly www.gflusa.com (866) 772-8900.
There is a limit on how much trash can be disposed of weekly. The trash contractor may require a special pick-up of excess trash for a fee. Livonia residents may also use the City’s refuse disposal site for a small fee.
No construction materials will be collected at the curb. These items must be taken to the dump by the resident or a special pick-up is required.
Large Item Pick-Up
Household furnishings and appliances will be picked up routinely, without charge, by a separate truck on the regular collection day. Large item collection service does not need to be requested. There is a limit of two large items per week. These items should be set out the after 6 p.m. the evening before or by 6 a.m. on collection day. Doors must be taped shut or removed from refrigerators or freezers before they are placed at the curb.
Livonia residents can drop off their Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) and Electronic Waste (E-Waste) from March 1 to the first Friday in October at ERG Environmental Services (ERG), 13040 Merriman Road, located on the east side of the street, just north of Industrial Drive.
Residents are able to deliver their HHW and E-Waste items to ERG during the following times:
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.Tuesday and Thursday 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
ERG has implemented a no-touch receiving protocol that allows ERG employees to safely receive HHW from residents while still observing social distancing recommendations. Specific instructions on drop-off procedures are posted on the receiving door to read and follow.
Residents delivering waste items will be asked to verify City of Livonia residency.
Each drop-off is $5 up to 100 lbs. Residents will pay 75 cents per pound over 100 lbs.
For more information, please visit ERG or contact the City of Livonia Department of Public Works at (734) 466-2655.
Used needles – Must be in hard rigid containers
Mercury – Devices such as thermostats and thermometers that contain Mercury are 75 cents per pound
Latex paint - Disposal fee is 75 cents per pound
A maximum of (8) eight bags of regular household waste is allowed per week.
Trash should be stored in a durable, vermin-proof, and water-proof container made of high-density plastic or metal with a tightly sealed lid must be utilized for outside trash storage and/or collection. Plastic bags alone will no longer be acceptable for food waste and/or any garbage (including animal feces) that may attract vermin, unless inside an approved, covered trash container. Animal waste or other bio-waste must be bagged prior to placement in an approved container.
Collection hours are 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Collection is not considered skipped until after 7:00 p.m. of your collection day. At that time, you are welcome to contact the Sanitation Department to report such events by using the Sanitation & Ordinance complaints form.
The following legal holidays are the only holidays that affect trash collections.:
• New Year’s Day
• Memorial Day
• Independence Day
• Labor Day
• Thanksgiving Day
• Christmas Day
• If the holiday occurs on a weekday, collection will be one day late.
• If the holiday occurs on a weekend, collection will remain on regular schedule.
• Loads are light on holiday weeks - trucks run early
Orange recycle bins can be ordered on the Sanitation & Ordinance Department’s homepage. Just click on "Request an orange recycle bin" link and fill out the form. We will deliver your recycle bin to your address within one (1) week. Fill out all the required information to receive a bin. There is a two (2) bin limit. If your tired of hauling (1) one or (2) two orange recycle bins to the curb, a 64 gallon recycle cart (with a lid and wheels) are available at gflusa.com for $75.00
Curbside recycling guidelines can be found at:
Recycling in Livonia
• When snow falls or drifts during the night, it must be removed from the public sidewalk by noon.
• Snow falling or drifting during the day must be removed from the public sidewalk by noon of the following day.
• City Ordinance prohibits plowing/shoveling/blowing snow onto any roads.
• Snow piled by the roadway must not obstruct the view of traffic.
• Do not deposit snow onto a neighbor's property.
• Ice on the sidewalk should be removed or treated with sand, chemical ice melter, or de-icer.
• Your cooperation is necessary to keep the sidewalk safe for pedestrians.
• Inspectors will take the steps necessary to obtain compliance up to and including issuing a ticket if needed.
• Use caution when shoveling snow, it is a strenuous chore.
• Before shoveling, warm up with a few stretching exercises.
• Don’t smoke or eat a large meal before shoveling.
• Dress warmly in layers, wear a hat and cover your neck.
• Tackle heavy snow in two stages. Begin by skimming off the snow from the top, and then remove the bottom layer. Avoid overloading the shovel.
• Don’t rush, shovel with a slow and steady pace. Take frequent breaks, stretch and drink some water during breaks. Cold air dehydrates the body.