How do I challenge a traffic ticket?

Please review the following regarding challenging a traffic ticket:

  • Plead responsible
    • This is an admission of responsibility, and waives your right to be heard in front of the Court. As long as you pay the fine indicated on your ticket, the case will be closed. For information about paying fines, please visit the 16th District Court's page for more information.
  • Plead not responsible
    • If you would like to challenge your traffic ticket, please contact the 16th District Court. The court will then notify you of a hearing date. If you would like a formal hearing, you must indicate so when you contact the court, otherwise you will be scheduled for an informal hearing.
    • Informal hearings are heard in front of a Magistrate. Both you and the citing officer may call witnesses and present testimony; however, you may not have legal representation. The Magistrate will issue a decision.  If you do not agree with the Magistrate’s decision, you can appeal and ask for a formal hearing.
    • In a formal hearing, your case is heard in front of a District Court Judge. The citing officer will be represented by the City of Livonia Law Department, and you can either represent yourself, or hire an attorney.

Show All Answers

1. How do I know if I need a lawyer and how do I pick one?
2. Where can I find standard court forms such as a criminal discovery order or a civil or criminal adjournment form?
3. Where is the 16th District Court?
4. How do I report a crime?
5. Where is the Law Department?
6. What is the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)?
7. How do I obtain a Personal Protection Order (PPO)?
8. How do I submit a Freedom of Information Act request?
9. What does the Law Department do?
10. Where can I find a copy of the City Ordinances?
11. Who do I call to report a barking dog?
12. How do I report an ordinance violation?
13. How do I challenge a traffic ticket?