Weekly Trash Collection
Pick up starts at 7 a.m. each day. There is no set time for a particular street. Trash should not be set out earlier than 6 p.m. of the evening before collection. When a holiday occurs on a weekday, collection for the remaining days of that week will be one day late. Trucks run earlier due to lighter loads on these weeks, so be sure not to miss it. The collection will not occur on these holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Please note: Trucks run early since loads are light on holiday weeks. For information or refuse/recycling issues email Sanitation or call 734-466-2588.
Warning to Parents
Children, because of their curious nature, are attracted to the operation of heavy equipment used in weekly trash collection. Please instruct your children to keep a safe distance from all collection vehicles.
Preparing Items For Weekly Pick Up
- Garbage must not be packed too tightly in containers. For safety reasons, the refuse contractor is not able to reach into any container to dislodge contents.
- Cardboard boxes larger than 3 feet by 3 feet must be broken down and tied in bundles for pickup. Larger cardboard may be dropped off at the Recycle Drop-off Center.
- Care should be taken when disposing of broken glass, hypodermic needles, or other sharp objects, especially if plastic bags are used. Such items should be securely wrapped to prevent puncture of the bag and possible injury to others.
Containers should be set on the front curb or edge of the street but not in the roadway itself. All containers must be removed from the curb by the evening of the collection day. The following containers must be used:
- Water-tight galvanized metal or heavy-duty plastic garbage cans.
- Cans must have handles.
- Cans shall not exceed a 35-gallon capacity and not weigh more than 50 pounds each.
- Good quality (2-mil) plastic bags also may be used for refuse collection. Bags must be tied shut and able to withstand lifting from the top without breaking.
- Up to eight cans or bags of refuse and up to eight cans or bags of yard waste (in season) may be disposed of weekly
Disposal of large amounts of rubbish due to clean-up, moving, flooding or fire are the resident's responsibility and are not included in the weekly pickup. Care should be taken when disposing of some dangerous materials. Broken glass, hypodermic needles, and other sharp objects should be securely wrapped to prevent injury.