- 6:30 p.m.
- February, April, August, October, and November
- First Tuesday of the month except for April and August
- City Hall
Third Floor Conference Room
33000 Civic Center Drive
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
The Commission has nine members appointed by the Mayor for three-year terms:
- Dan Spurling, Chairperson
- Jessie Claypoole
- Laura Duggan
- George Gostias
- John Grzebik
- Trevor McCann
Livonia’s Commission on Children and Youth exists to identify the needs of our City’s youth. Its mission is to respond to those needs by promoting academic leadership, citizenship and community involvement through recognition, events, or programs, which enhance the quality of life for present and future generations of our community.
The Commission on Youth and Children recommends policies and general procedures regarding the needs of children and youth and appraises conditions that affect the City’s youth.
Events & Programs
The commission takes part in various events and programs including:
- Distributing seedlings to Livonia and Clarenceville fourth grade students during Arbor Day week to promote the students’ responsibility to the environment.
- Purchasing prizes for Livonia Spree Family Day to be passed out to children who participate in events and contests at the Spree.
- Printing and distributing emergency window stickers that identify the location of young children and the elderly in a home.
- Selecting Spree Memorial Scholarship Award recipients, in conjunction with the Livonia "Spree" Anniversary Committee, for graduating high school seniors.
- Awarding Honor Certificates to all graduating high school seniors with a 3.0-grade average encouraging as well as recognizing academically above-average students.
- Monetary sponsorship of Livonia high schools’ "Senior All Night Graduation Parties" inviting students to complete their graduation ceremonies back at their schools with their classmates.
- Various themed Activity Nights in a coordinated effort with Livonia Parks and Recreation held at the Kirksey Recreation Center for middle or high school students. The facility is rented after hours to offer area students a safe and fun Saturday night "something to do" with peers.
- Working with the Livonia Goodfellows to host a Holiday Party for needy children in November.
- Back to School Supply Program in the summer to provide needy children with backpacks and school supplies.