Military and Overseas Voters

Vote America

Wherever U.S. citizens go, FVAP ensures their voices are heard.

The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) works to ensure Service members, their eligible family members and overseas citizens are aware of their right to vote and have the tools and resources to successfully do so – from anywhere in the world.

The Federal Post Card Application - FPCA

States administer elections in the United States, but under federal law, the FPCA allows you to request voter registration in your state of legal voting residence, request absentee ballots for all federal elections in a current calendar year, and update your voter contact information. We recommend that you send in a new FPCA every January and each time you move. Election offices send out blank ballots 45 days before election day, so allow time for your completed FPCA ballot to be mailed back and processed. The FPCA is available at

Military and overseas voters

Active-duty military, their families, and overseas citizens can register to vote and request their absentee ballot using the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). The FPCA process for return ballots in Michigan is done by mail, but we can send your ballot to you via mail or email.  Please contact your election official for more information about delivery and return methods, including email, fax, and state online portals.

To follow the FPCA process:

1. Fill out the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), or download a copy. Your election official may have questions, so please provide an email address or phone number where they can reach you.

2. Send the application to your election official via email or mail.

3. It is never too early to submit an FPCA! Please do so as soon as possible.

4. Please fill out and send back your ballot as soon as you receive it.

We begin mailing absentee ballots at least 45 days before Election Day. 

If after submitting your FPCA, your ballot does not arrive, contact your election official first. Then: You can still vote using the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB). Print, sign, and mail your FWAB to your local election office. 

NOTE: If you mail a FWAB and then receive your regular absentee ballot, you should complete and mail your absentee ballot also. Election officials will ensure that only one ballot is counted. The Federal Voting Assistance Program – offers additional information on military and overseas voting in Michigan.